The Circle in the Square Theatre is a lawful Broadway theatre in the midtown Manhattan on 50th Street. The initial Circle in the Square was established by Paul Libin, Theodore Mann and Jose Quintero in the year 1951 and was situated at 5 Sheridan Square (a brownstone) in the Greenwich Village. In beginning the Circle in the Square did not have a theater license, but Quintero was capable to get a cabaret license; the production employees and off duty actors served as waiters if anyone insisted on ordering food or drinks. Many of the theater workers, both acting and technical, lived on the premises. In the year 1960 the company went to the Circle in the Square Downtown, on Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village.
Designed by the architect Alan Sayles, the present home of the company is among two theatres in the Paramount Plaza office tower. Its much superior sibling is the Gershwin Theatre. The theatre entrance lobbies are side by side but are separated by a wall. The company keeps the downtown premises, but rents them out. The Gershwin and the Circle in the Square were created in the year 1970 when the Uris Brothers broke down the Capitol Theatre to construct the tower (with the Gershwin which was originally being called as the Uris Theatre).
The Circle in the Square Theatre is a legitimate Broadway theatre in midtown Manhattan on 50th Street.
The original Circle in the Square was founded by Paul Libin, Theodore Mann and Jose Quintero in 1951 and was located at 5 Sheridan Square (a brownstone) in Greenwich Village.
Address;1633 Broadway, New York, NY 10019
It originally served as the uptown home to the Circle-in-the-Square repertory company.